The Administrative Services Department directs and plans the fiscal program of the City and is responsible for sound financial management by maintaining an internal control structure designed to ensure the safeguarding of the City’s assets. The Administrative Services Department provides internal support to other operating departments through its three principal operating divisions: Human Resources, Business Support Services, and Financial Services:
The Human Resources Division is responsible for personnel, labor relations and employment and training services such as:
- Personnel recruitment, selection, hiring, and administration of all City personnel services.
- Labor Relations and Negotiations with the City’s three represented bargaining groups and with confidential and unrepresented employees.
- Employee Benefits and Assistance, such as the City Employee Assistance Program, health insurance, retirement benefits, employee recognition programs, training and staff development programs, volunteer and intern programs.
The Financial Services Division works with, but independent of, the City Treasurers Office, and is responsible for accounting, budgeting, and financial administration, which includes:
- Accounting and reporting of the City’s expenditures and revenues such as payroll, general fund and special funds.
- Budgeting of all City services and coordination of department budgeting and oversight, expenditure and revenue reporting.
- Auditing and reporting, preparation and/or coordination of state and federal reports, the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR), quarterly reports to the City Finance Committee and other reports as requested.
The Technology Resources Division is responsible for formatting and publishing all integrated communications content and administering the information technology program, comprised of:
- Publishing integrated communications content for purposes of disseminating information and supporting City outreach efforts to include printed, web-based, government cable access channels, and telephone services.
- Provides training and technical assistance to all City departments in the efficient and professional use of electronic, audio, and visual communication equipment.
- Planning, coordinating and administering of all City technology based programs to include identifying modern methods to enhance operational efficiencies and reduce cost
- Maintaining safe and recoverable date storage systems, monitoring and seizing network security threats; including installing, upgrading and patching operating and application software
- Provide procurement assistance; and perform help desk support for all City computer hardware and software systems.
The Administrative Support Division is responsible for procurement, non-public contract administration assistance, inventory and the disposition of surplus supplies and equipment, which includes:
- Management and coordination of centralized purchases, competitive procurements, and a number of citywide service contracts, such as fire services through the Consolidated Fire Protection District of Los Angeles County.
- Provides technical support and assistance to all City departments on purchasing options, identifying potential bidders, and provides compliance guidance on Federal, State and City regulations. Additionally, administers the City inventory and disposition system to account for equipment and other assets.